Friday 30 January 2009

Reconciliation in Northern Ireland - more poems for Brigid

As I begin to celebrate the patron goddess of the land of my ancestors, who is goddess of healing and poetry, governments are talking about how to move on from the "Troubles". I am also a child of Africa and am so proud of the "Truth and Reconciliation Councils" in South Africa and so despairing of Zimbabwe ever recovering.... I was brought up to "forgive and forget" and, although I have tried, I find re-membering to be a more wholesome healing process for me. Asking a victim of violence to forgive can heap burden of responsibility upon injury....

Re-membering

To forgive and forget is to allow injustice to be repeated. Nobody learns from the experience
and the victim remains a victim.

Forgiveness is a process,
not an act of will.

It is impossible to forgive,
to give to the past
and move on from,
wounds that we cannot remember.

Amnesia is an illness,
not an accomplishment.

It is only when we forget how much we love our beautiful planet,
how much we depend on her for our very survival,
that we can poison,
rape
and destroy her.

It is only when we forget how much we love our beautiful children,
how much we depend on them for our very survival,
that we can poison,
rape
and destroy them.

It is only when we forget how much we love our beautiful selves,
how much we depend on ourselves for our very survival,
that we can poison,
rape
and destroy ourselves.

We must remember
and re-member,
reconnect with our severed limbs,
our disowned parts,
our humanity,
so that we can begin to put ourselves
and our lovely planet back together again.
It is only when we have fully re-membered
that we can begin to move on
and co-create a better world.

by Bríd Wyldearth 2007


Getting Over It

by Bríd Wyldearth 2007

When they say they wish that I would get over It
they are saying that they want me to stop talking about It
They are telling me to shut up

I will not shut up
I will not stop talking about It
And I will not get over It
until It never happens to anybody ever again!

No comments: